Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Comp problems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comp problems.

Comp problems.

Just a few minutes ago, very wierd events forced me to reboot my comp. TWICE.

The first was when I was in WorldEdit working on a map. All of a sudden, the monitor screwed up with pink and yellow and purple everywhere and then I got hit with a dark-blue screen of death which, besides being mixed with purple, said something about dumping "physical memory" before it rebooted. I'm not a hardware expert, so sue me.

The second was shortly after the first reboot. I ran Warcraft III and was about to play a custom map when the monitor blacked out on me and it beeped a couple times when I tried to reboot it. I was forced to shut it down, then start it up again and here I am.

I suspect malicious software to be involved, so I'm running AVG Virus Scan. Personally, I favor McAfee over AVG, but I had no choice in the matter when the new comp was made, so...

AVG found nothing. Maybe if I scan my Frozen Throne disk, it'll find something. Otherwise, I have my animated desktop to blame.

EDIT: And it is. I've already changed it; hopefully this'll put an end to the odd monitor.
    Last edited by Protoss119; 01-12-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Wasn't the desktop - in fact, it was due to overheat. It happened again. Per Dad's advice, I shut it down and waited for a half-hour before starting it up again. We'll see what happens next.

Paladin
    My first suggestion was going to be heat, second was OS problems. This didnt sound like a virus at all.

It wasn't. <_< Apparently, it only occurs when WCIII is running. Odd.

It's not Heat. I don't know what it is. It's definitely not the power supply, or it would have shut down on me, but it keeps happening, and it's getting much more frequent. Suggestions?

My dad took a look at it and it turns out it IS a virus. Kind of ironic, don't you think?

Anyway, someone's using up 1/3 of my memory and 1/2 of my processing power. No wonder NWN2's laggy. He'll take steps to rectify the situation today.

Paladin
    ouch! somebody should have kept his virus protection up to date.

AVG updates automatically. AVG sucks IMO though, so meh.

I did have a virus, but that wasn't the cause of the problem. It stopped crashing for some 3-6 days. It turns out my video card burnt out and so I had to get it replaced by a not-as-good-as-my-old-one one. Hey, whatever works.

However, one may be concerned that without the old video card, I won't be able to play NWN2. I don't have the processer speed to play it well, though, so it would make no difference.

Thread Information