Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Alphus - Yet another forum game
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alphus - Yet another forum game

Alphus - Yet another forum game

This is a game I thought up based on JYAP's tank game (GODDAMMIT, GIVE IT A TITLE! Jk) and...blah blah blah. You'll find at the end that much of the credit will go to JYAP anyway. Read & Weep.

Alphus
    Forum game by Protoss119

This game sort of works like JYAP’s tank game, except we’re dealing with a good space battle. I got this idea while playing a flash game (and soon after playing ST: Armada 2 as the Federation). Anyway, let’s go over the basic concept.

Ships

There are a few terms to the stats of your ship. These are:

HP: Need I go over this?
    Armor: This acts the same as HP except it takes all the damage from a particular weapon. When that happens, all damage done to HP counts as 1. However, like HP, Armor can be depleted and thus the ship takes normal damage.
    Speed: The number of spaces a starship can move. Navigation will be explained later.
    $<number>: If you haven’t figured this out yet, it’s because you’re either a newb or a retard. This is money in case you don’t understand English. Players start out with $1200 to spend on chassis designs, weapons, etc.

First off, before you can start playing, you need a ship. Three chassis selections are available. More expensive chassis designs will cost you more, but will open up more opportunities…to survive. Available ships:

Gunship – The fastest chassis design – odd for a gunship design but wait till you see everything else – and with a good weapon slot compliment but lacks armor & HP. 90 HP, 25 Armor, 7 Speed, comes with 5 weapon slots and as a starting weapon a Plasma Cannon. $200

Corvette – A cheap, all-around ship design. 120 HP, 50 armor, 4 speed, comes with 3 weapon slots and as starting weapons 2 Plasma Cannons. $250

Frigate – Slow & heavily armored with the most weapon slots out of all of them. Because of the extreme slowness, it gets a +1 range bonus to all weapons. 150 HP, 60 Armor, 1 Speed, comes with 7 weapon slots and as starting weapons a Plasma Cannon & a Rocket Launcher. $350

Weapons

OK. I bet you have no clue about the weapons, so let’s go over them, shall we?

Terms:

Damage: What are you, stoopid?! I does not need to goes over this!
    Heat: Let’s face it, weapons generate heat. This is the amount of heat that it generates. When the heat score reaches 150, the ship has to shut down until the heat score reaches at most 75. Heat goes down by 10 per turn +5 per heat sink (explained later), so for the most basic weapons, you should have no heat problems.
    Cooldown: The amount of time for a weapon to, well, cool down after it has been fired or reload. Usually, it takes place after the weapon has been fired, but in terms of weapons like the CML, it doesn’t take place until all readied missiles have been fired.
    Range: The range of the weapon, as in you have to be at most X squares to fire it. Frigates get a +1 bonus to the range on all weapons.

OK, so you’re already bored. THE WEAPONS!

Plasma Cannon – A basic, rapid-firing weapon. Fires 4 shots at once. 3 damage per shot, 2 heat (per 2 shots), Cooldown 1 turn, Range 2. $100

“Long Gun” Laser – A sort of laser sniper rifle. Low heat, ton ‘o damage, very good range. 25 damage, 2 heat, Cooldown 3 turns, Range 5. $350

Rocket Launcher: Basic explosive launcher. Hellish damage, but suffers from cooldown and pretty high heat for a basic weapon. 30 damage, 8 heat, Cooldown 5 turns, Range 4. $300

Controlled Missile Launcher (CML): Not-so-basic weapon. Allows you to fire up to 5 missiles a turn. Cooldown doesn’t take place until all 5 missiles have been fired. 6 damage per missile, 5 heat per missile, Cooldown 2 turns, Range 2. $400

Greater Plasma Cannon – Better then your average Plasma Cannon. Fires 8 shots at once. 3 damage per shot, 2 heat (per 2 shots), Cooldown 1 turn, Range 3. $200

Plasma Launcher – Unlike the Plasma Cannon, this weapon just fires 1 big bolt of plasma, doing heavy damage. Suffers from Cooldown & Heat. 50 damage, 30 heat, Cooldown 6 turns, Range 3. $500

Ion Cannon – Does a bit of damage and disables one of the target’s weapons for 3 turns. 10 damage, 12 heat, Cooldown 2 turns, Range 4. $450

I’ll be thinking of more. In the meantime…

Upgrades

Let’s face it: everyone wants a freaking powerful ship. Well, I have good news for you: that’s quite possible. Not only in the form of having a ton of weapons of mass destruction, but also in upgrading your ship. The costs of upgrades keep going up the more you get, which is why it is monitored with Levels. Upgrades:

HP Upgrade: No level limit. Adds +5 HP. $200 +$50 per upgrade.
    Armor Upgrade: No level limit. Adds +3 Armor. $200 +$50 per upgrade.
    Engine Upgrade: Maximum level 3. Adds 1 to Speed. $300 +$75 per upgrade.
    Heat Sink Upgrade: Maximum level 10. Adds 1 heat sink which takes off 5 heat per turn in addition to the normal 10. $200 +$25 per upgrade.

And if you truly want a ton of weapons, we have Chassis upgrades too. Chassis upgrades save you weapon slots by giving you weapons that take up no said weapon slots. However, you can only have 1. Once you get a Chassis upgrade, you can’t get another.

Plasma Cannon upgrade: Gives your ship 3 additional Plasma Cannons. $500.

Rocket Launcher upgrade: Gives your ship 3 additional Rocket Launchers. $1000.

More coming soon with the weapons.

Text block'd/10.
    Last edited by Protoss119; 07-24-2006 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Neverwinter Nights ("NWN") generally has over 9,000 players online at any one time.
    WHAT NINE THOUSAND

Navigation

This is the part that I like most: the game runs on a 3d board. That is to say, you can actually move in 3 dimensions. You see, there are 2 boards: an X board and a Y board. The X board is just like the game board in JYAP’s tank game. The Y board, however, allows you to go up & down as well as left and right.

Because of this dual-board gameplay mode, you get speed points each turn based on your speed. Spend these speed points on the X and Y boards. For example:

X board:

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][A][][][][][][][A][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][A][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][A][][][][][][A][][][][][][][P][][][]
    [][][][][A][][][][][][][][A][][][][][][][]

Y board:

[][][][A][][][][][][][A][][][][][P][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][A][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][A][][][][][][A][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][][A][][][][][][][][A][][][][][][][]

As you can see, the X board determines Protoss’s actual location, and the Y board determines how far up he is. Say he has 5 speed points. He could use 2 on the X board to go up on it and 3 on the Y board to go down on it.

Terms:

A = Asteroid. Asteroids are basically roadblocks that can be blasted out of the way when needed. They have 40 HP & 5 armor.
    B = Big asteroid. Unlike normal asteroids, these are freakin’ huge and pretty hard to blast (although not impossible). They have 120 HP & 500 armor.
    H = Black Hole. Any ship below 30 HP 2 spaces away from the Black Hole gets sucked into it, counting as it getting blown up.
    W = Wormhole. These cosmic gadgets (Jeez, ain’t I imaginative? ) allow you to transit from 1 wormhole to another upon moving into it. The ship emerges 1 space near the wormhole that it came out of.
    N = Nebula. These have varying effects, from repairing or damaging the ship in it to increasing the speed, disabling specific weapons, etc. They usually cover a large scale of the battlefield, so don’t be surprised if you see a field of Ns.
    S = Starbird Pirates. This notorious group of space pirates comes in all shapes and sizes. Expect them in the battlefield at times. Package comes in gunships, corvettes, or frigates and they always go last.

Combat

Ah, yes, you’ve all been waiting for this…or have you? Anyway, here’s how combat works. Well, maybe you already know. Or do you? Anywho…

You have to be facing the opponent from the north, south, east, west, or any diagonal to fire (save for frigates) on both the X and Y boards. For example:

X board:

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][E][][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][P][][][]

Y board:

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][P][][][]
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][E][][][][][]

Protoss is in range to attack. It should be noted that even though you can only fire 1 weapon per turn, if you have 2 or more of the same weapon, you can fire them all. This increases damage, but you also risk more in the sense of heat.

Finally, Range both the X and Y boards. Of course, you’re gonna be in range to use most of these weapons anyway, so…

That covers everything. Enjoy the game!

Note: Much of this game is based off of JYAP’s tank game. Therefore, he gets a big wad of credit for this.
    Last edited by Protoss119; 07-28-2006 at 10:44 PM.
    Neverwinter Nights ("NWN") generally has over 9,000 players online at any one time.
    WHAT NINE THOUSAND

New concept: Ramming. At point-blank range, if the ship isn't a fighter, a ship can ram into another ship, doing...

10 damage if Fighter (blows up the Fighter)
    20 damage if Gunship
    40 damage if Corvette
    80 damage if Frigate

Beware of the recoil; ramming does half damage to you & full damage to the target.

MORE WEAPONS!

Some from friends.

JYAP's Armory:

"Repeater" Laser: Can fire up to 20 shots,each dealing 2 damage and generating 1 heat. Every turn 2 shots recharge. Range 3,$550

Afterburner Missile: Fires a missile that locks on to an opponent and chases it for 3 turns. It moves 2 spaces on the first one,3 on the second,and 4 on the third. 25 damage,10 heat,range 9,3 turn cool. $600

8-way Rocket: Shoots 8 rockets from your ship for some breathing room. 8 damage,8 heat,range 2,3 turn cool. $350

Shock Blaster: An electric shock that disables a ship's movement. 3 damage,12 heat,range 2,4 turn cool. $400

Laser: A standard issue laser. 3 damage,1 heat,range 4,0 turn cool. $50

Laser Array: Three lasers grouped together. Triple damage and heat of Laser. $200

New Ship: Fighter: A small agile ship. Easy to produce. 35 HP, 15 Armor,10 Speed,3 weapon slots,and comes with a Laser. 2 for $200. (Toss's notes: Cannot be rammed.)

Laser Upgrade: Adds 3 Lasers to your chassis. $300

Laser Array Upgrade: Adds 3 Laser Arrays to your chassis. $650

Halfwing's Armory:

Explosive Cargo: BOOM! Does 300 damage on impact (ram), blowing up the target & the user. $900

Laser Hull: This weapon can be turned on/off. While on, it generates 5 heat per turn. Ramming somebody while it's on does 50 (and 25 to yourself XD) additional damage. Cooldown does not occur until it is turned off/the ship shuts down. Cooldown 2 turns. $600

Reinforced Hull: Strengthens the hull of the ship, doing an extra 25 damage while ramming. (Note: You'll do 12 damage to yourself upon ramming. XD) $400

Mining Laser: Instantly destroys an Asteroid no matter what its status. Does 50 armor damage to Big Asteroids. You get $1 for each asteroid destroyed at the end of the round and $25 for each big asteroid at the end of the round. 1 damage (to ships), 1 heat, 4 range, cooldown 1 turn, $25

Mining Laser Upgrade: Adds 3 mining lasers to your chassis. $100.

Pulse Laser: Every turn, it automatically fires at all ships within its range, but doesn't harm HP until Armor is depleted. 1 damage, 2 range, 2 heat per shot, $75.
    Last edited by Protoss119; 07-30-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    WHAT NINE THOUSAND

Argh. I can't wrap my head on the Y board concept. Scrap that entirely and just put a number next to the ship stating how high he is.

However,I like everything else. And if you give me credit and my other game is dead(expect lava spawns at your house Halfwing),I would be really rude to not join.

(doesn't join)
    (but it's Opposite Day)

Chassis: Gunship(-$200)
    Name: Channeler
    Weapons: 1+3 Plasma Cannons(chassis upgrade,-$500),Plasma Launcher(-$500)
    Crew(CAUSE I SAID SO N00B) :
    Captain: Odin
    Weapons: Ifrit
    Engineering: Ramuh
    Sensors: Shiva
    Piloting: Lich
    Security: Diablos
    Science: Pandaemona

Current HP: 90
    Current Armor: 25
    Current Heat: 0
    Cooling Value: 10
    Current Speed: 7
    Current Cash: $0
    Current Status: Start the game already!

And because your lineup sucks...

"Repeater" Laser: Can fire up to 20 shots,each dealing 2 damage and generating 1 heat. Every turn 2 shots recharge. Range 3,$550

Afterburner Missile: Fires a missile that locks on to an opponent and chases it for 3 turns. It moves 2 spaces on the first one,3 on the second,and 4 on the third. 25 damage,10 heat,range 9,3 turn cool. $600

8-way Rocket: Shoots 8 rockets from your ship for some breathing room. 8 damage,8 heat,range 2,3 turn cool. $350

Shock Blaster: An electric shock that disables a ship's movement. 3 damage,12 heat,range 2,4 turn cool. $400

Laser: A standard issue laser. 3 damage,1 heat,range 4,0 turn cool. $50

Laser Array: Three lasers grouped together. Triple damage and heat of Laser. $200

New Ship: Fighter: A small agile ship. Easy to produce. 35 HP, 15 Armor,10 Speed,3 weapon slots,and comes with a Laser. 2 for $200.

Laser Upgrade: Adds 3 Lasers to your chassis. $300

Laser Array Upgrade: Adds 3 Laser Arrays to your chassis. $650

I'm done.

~sigh~ Did I NOT just say I was adding more weapons as we go on? Blech, updating.

At any rate, the Y board is really not that heard to understand. Just put them together in your mind, like some sort of room. The X is the floor, the Y is the wall, and your ship is just floating there. Putting a number on the ship to show how high it is is really no different from the Y board. Yet...come to think of it, your right. Bah, I'll get more results from Halfwing if he ever shows up.

~Because it's opposite day, it is now NOT opposite day~

Finally, I need to fix the BlackBird Pirates. B is Big Asteroid, but it is also BlackBird Pirates, which I need to fix.

Because I made the game, I get $50000000000.

Just kidding.

Start: $1200

Chassis: Frigate, -$350

$850 remaining.

Bah, I'll buy an Ion Cannon. $-450.

$400 remaining.

Now I'll grab 2 Greater Plasma Cannons. $-400.

End: $0

HP: 150
    Armor: 60
    Heat: 0
    Cooling Value: 10
    Current Speed: 1 (+1 Range bonus to all weapons)
    Rocket Launcher: 5/5. Ready.
    Plasma Cannon: 1/1. Ready.
    Greater Plasma Cannon: 1/1. Ready.
    Greater Plasma Cannon: 1/1. Ready.
    Ion Cannon: 2/2. Ready.

Ship Name: Krull Kullen
    Crew:
    Captain: Supreme Director Mezzat
    Weapons: Zeron
    Engineering: Vagadore
    Sensors: Salsovan
    Piloting: Kel Driver
    Security: Teron Malice
    Science: The Savant

BTW, I feel I need to nerf the Ion Cannon's effect to 2 turns. With cooldown like that, the player could just shoot the enemy over and over again and keep disabling his weapons, which is annoying. Also, Blackbird Pirates are now Starbird Pirates so the characters make sense now.

THE BATTLEFIELD!

X Board:

[][][][][][][][N][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][A][][][N][N][N][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][][N][N][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][P][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][J][]
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][A][][][][][]
    [][][][][][A][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Y Board:

[][][][][][][N][N][N][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][N][N][][][][][A][][][][][][]
    [][P][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][J][]
    [][][][A][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

For the Y board, the doodads on the X board stay in the same place left or right-wise, but they'll either go up or down depending on how high they are.
    Last edited by Protoss119; 07-30-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    WHAT NINE THOUSAND

I STILL can't wrap my head around the Y-board concept. Go with my idea. Much simpler and does the same thing.

And if the game is started,then assumably it's my turn because my ship is lighter.

X Board:

[][][][][][][][][N][N][][J][][][][][][][][]
    [][P][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Y Board:

[][][][][][][N][N][N][][][][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][][][][][N][N][][][][][A][][][][][][]
    [][P][][][][][][][][][][J][][][][][][][][]
    [][][][A][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Not sure on my movement on the Y board. Assistance please.

Yeh, you're prolly right.

Elevation of Asteroid 1 (Top Left): 3
    Elevation of Asteroid 2 (Bottom Left): 6
    Elevation of Asteroid 3 (Bottom Right): 2
    JYAP's Elevation: 4
    Toss's Elevation: 4
    Elevation Cap: 7

[][P][][][][][][][N][N][][J][][][][][][][][]

Toss's Elevation: Still 4
    WHAT NINE THOUSAND

Okay boys the moment you been waitin for *joins*
    IM assuming portoss is using the shit CD of JYAP
    So here it goes
    Frigate - 350
    Selling rockets and plasma + 400
    Buying laser array upgrade - 650
    1000 Left
    buying 5 laser arrays - 1000
    Total weapons
    8 Laser arrays
    Total HP 150
    Total Armor: 60
    Total Speed: 1
    Total Crew ( haha ): NONE ( GHOSTSHIP )
    Total Name: Phantasm
    Total damage per turn: 72
    Total Heat Per Turn: 24
    Total Turns of damage until shutdown: 5 ( on the 6th turn of firing i shut down )
    total damage ( including 6th turn ): 432
    Total Ships left alive : 0
    Total # of Totals: 14
    Goodday
    Wlevation of Asteroid 1 (Top Left): 3
    Elevation of Asteroid 2 (Bottom Left): 6
    Elevation of Asteroid 3 (Bottom Right): 2
    JYAP's Elevation: 4
    Half's Elevation: 4
    Toss's Elevation: 4
    Elevation Cap: 7

[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][N][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][A][ ][ ][N][N][N][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][P][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][N][N][ ][J][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][A][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][A][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
    [ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][H][ ]
    Half's Height is now 5
    P.S. I put spaces in the squares to make it more organized

Weapon Design: Explosive Cargo ( only fired when ship blows up or when "rammed" or "ramming" ) damage 300 ( kills firing ship ) heat N/A Cooldown N/A Range 3
    Laser Hull: Makes the Hull of the SHip have a Laser Lining allong the ship to ram Damage: 50 ( 10 if being rammed ) Heat ( weapon turned on and off ) 50 a turn when on and 5 a turn when off Range (max): 2 range ( MIN ): 2 (moves the ship ajacent to the target ) Cooldown 1 Turn ( may not be turned off/on during cooldown and cooldown starts after turned on ( basically u hit 150 heat if you fire anything else for 3 turns ) Cost: $700
    Reinforced Hull: Makes the Hull of the Ship Super Strong allowing it to Ram Damage : 25 Damage Heat N/A Range (max): 2 range ( MIN ): 2 ( moves ship ajacent to target ) Cooldown 3 turns cost:$700
    Mining Laser: A Mining Laser: Damage:1 Cooldown 0 Heat: 0 2 of them take up 1 weapon slot range:1 Cost: $5 Special: kills asteroids Instantly Ship gains $1 for each Small one
    Mining Upgrade: $1200 10 mining lasers + 2 more weapon Slots + 2 Large Mining Lasers + Pulse Laser
    Large Mining Laser: a Large Mining Laser Damage: 1 cooldown 0 Heat 1 ( 3 of them take up 2 Weapon Slots ) Range 2 Cost 15$ Special: kills Larger Asteroids + asteroids Instantly Ship gains $5 for each large asteroid and $1 for each Small one
    Pulse Laser: A Pulse Laser: Damage 1 ( fires automatically every ships turn at everything in range) Range 3 Cost $100
    Last edited by Halfwingseen; 07-29-2006 at 09:07 PM.

You can't sell your weapons. Plus...

$1200
    $850
    +400
    $1250
    -500 (NOT 650!)
    $750
    -$250

Rebuild your ship. And it's PROTOSS. PROTOSS, dammit, or TOSS for short.

EDIT: I meant to say "you can't sell your starting weapons" sorry.
    WHAT NINE THOUSAND

Errrr,Toss,that's kinda dumb. Dumber than wisp rushing.

Thread Information