Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Why are there no players ever online? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why are there no players ever online?

Just my opinion but...

Getting XP on death is an excellent idea. I imagine it can be pretty frustrating if the same person keeps whipping your tail time and time again, only to get stronger while you stay the same. It seems like it would be hard to keep newbs without some incentive to keep trying. Maybe something like 25% of the XP your opponent gets, but none of the GP.

Spawns are also a good idea. I had thought of this a while ago but said nothing of it. If you are alone on the server, you need something to keep you occupied till someone else comes, not to mention the opportunity to grab a little XP or GP. Like Wandera said, the more people on at any given time, the more likely it is that new people will come and oldbies will want to log on for a few good fights. Maybe some "sentries" in each elemental fortress would be good too. Not too many, to cut down on lag, but maybe just a couple of them to give you something to do if there are fewer than a certain number of people online. They could spawn on player entry so you don't have 8 (or whatever) of them at a time. You should get double XP for ones of opposing alignment, especially since you have to deal with all the damage just from being there in the first place.

And about killing yourself for XP on spawn points and such, it could be scripted to check to see if the last attacker was a PC. If so, XP. If not, nothing. It could check to see if it was a spawn, too.

Paladin
    I'll see what I can do guys. If there is any award for death....it will be very small.

As far as the sentries in each fortress......i like that idea.

Well..

Well i think something needs to happen at the end of round.

And what i was thinking is maybe the winning team gets ported to the colosseum for a big team fight against a monster instead of having it spawn just plain in the Arena for everyone to fight against.

And this monster im talking gets beaten only when there is a cleric + mage + fighter and damn good ones at that.

Something NEEDS to happen end of round...

Any ideas guys?..

Reason being, this is what keeps the players on server for long amounts of time.

Another thing Almuric are you extremely against toning up the experience one gets for making kills?.. Cause i cant help but feel as though people are getting bored on the same level day after day.

The way the other Arena servers are designed in having 2 servers.. i dunno about this i dont see its necessary until you have a massive population and still i'd rather so what i was thinking was maybe once you can enter the elite shop you have to take the portal to the higher level Arena from the Fortress, BUT.. lower levels can play either and if higher levels want to enter the LOW level one, they get massive AB/AC / SPELL FAILURE disadvantages...? Aswell as the higher level arena giving more XP per KILLS! and the team receives the same as the lower level arena?..

I dunno if you understand it but lets hear what you guys think.. Al.. ?
    \' Mess with the best... Die like the rest \'

.::{ Leader of the Midknight Nine }::.

Re: Well..

How about an end of round bonus for the team that fared the best? The number of kills could be weighed against the number of deaths and the team with the best ratio would get an XP/GP bonus relative to that ratio. Number of players and average level could be factored in too. I imagine the formula would be something like (avg lvl of losers/avg lvl of winners)*(# of losers + 1/# of winners + 1)*(# of kills/# of deaths)*(base xp)

For example:

Team Fire and Team Earth both have 2 level 15 players. Team Fire totals 9 kills and 7 deaths, meaning Team Earth has 7 kills and 9 deaths (assuming no suicides). Team Fire then gets (15/15)*(3/3)*(9/7)*200 XP and GP, or 257 XP/GP each (200 being an example base XP/GP).

Team Air has one level 16 and one level 15 while Team Water has 2 level 15s. Team Air scores 9 kills and 7 has deaths (as in previous example). The formula then becomes (15/15.5)*(3/3)*(9/7)*200 XP and GP, or 248 each.

Team Earth has 2 level 15 players and Team Air has 1 level 17 player. Team Earth has 7 kills and 5 deaths. Team Earth then gets (15/15)*(2/3)*(7/5)*200, or 187 XP and GP.

Pros:
    Rewards extended playing
    Discourages dieing for XP
    Boosts overall XP awards without tweaking XP slider
    Rewards teamwork

Cons:
    Rich get richer and the poor get poorer
    Have to play through the end of the round for it to pay off

I think the losers should probably get something too, like maybe inverting the formula and dividing it by 2 so they at least get something, but not near as much as the winners.

Paladin
    The biggest problem we have now is the more powerful teams beat the crap out of the new players. Creating an end-of-round award would just make those same players more powerful.

It could be scripted so that if the number and/or the average level of players on any one side is higher than the others by a certain amount then there is no bonus. This would also serve to keep more powerful people from ganging up on newbs (which is apparently already going on) since they would actually lose more by doing so.

Thread Information