Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Windows XP Retiring Soon [Archive] - TrogWorld

PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Retiring Soon

Almuric
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Unfortunately for most of us who dont want to bother with Vista, XP is on the way out. First step: cease the sale of xp on new pcs on January 2008. More info here - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6551429.stm

Bushwacker
04-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Thats one reason I'm glad we are now supporting Vista on campus in our CS department now. We started implementing the OS about the middle of last month.

Toto
04-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Words cannot describe how much I loathe Vista. Looks like I'll be hogging this machine for quite some time (the fact that I don't have any money for a new one is irrelevant).

Bleh, just the mere thought of running Vista makes me petulant.

Almuric
04-13-2007, 07:01 PM
I havent even loaded Vista yet, but the fact that a buddy of mine has it on his laptop at work and it uses about twice as much RAM as XP doing nothing just pisses me off.

Toto
04-13-2007, 07:31 PM
It's a huge RAM hog, yes. Unfortunately, since we are gamers, we'll need to update one day when all the cool new-looking games require DX10. I just hope another OS will be out by that time. :(

Protoss119
04-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Good thing I'm still stuck on Starcraft, NWN, Warcraft III, and sometimes Marathon.

Bushwacker
04-13-2007, 11:25 PM
So, for you guy's is the hardware requirements your biggest complaint?

Almuric
04-14-2007, 05:52 AM
Yes, the increased CPU usage, the increased RAM usage, and the increased hard drive usage. Other then that, I'm good.

Bushwacker
04-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Didn't you just build or buy a new PC?
The only thing that bothers me right now is all the incompatibility problems.

Almuric
04-14-2007, 09:31 PM
well, i havent installed it yet to find out if all my stuff is compatible. That'd really piss me off.

Bushwacker
04-14-2007, 10:03 PM
well, i havent installed it yet to find out if all my stuff is compatible. That'd really piss me off.

Trog I know your smarter than that. So quit blowing smoke up my ass. You know your system will handle Vista and you know your smart enough to figure out what isnt and is working for you. Quit being a wussie and just do it. You know Linux wont last forever right? Plus there will come a time when you company will have to switch over, they will have no choice, and neither will you. So I suggest you quit complaining and start dealing. And if anyone here wants to get into the whole Windows/Linux thing...Bring it on.:)

Almuric
04-14-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm gonna install Vista on my other PC soon. I have an MSDN license so I can install it. I need to start learning it anyway. But I doubt I'll put it on my primary PC anytime soon.