Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Comp problems. [Archive] - TrogWorld

PDA

View Full Version : Comp problems.

Protoss119
01-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Just a few minutes ago, very wierd events forced me to reboot my comp. TWICE.

The first was when I was in WorldEdit working on a map. All of a sudden, the monitor screwed up with pink and yellow and purple everywhere and then I got hit with a dark-blue screen of death which, besides being mixed with purple, said something about dumping "physical memory" before it rebooted. I'm not a hardware expert, so sue me.

The second was shortly after the first reboot. I ran Warcraft III and was about to play a custom map when the monitor blacked out on me and it beeped a couple times when I tried to reboot it. I was forced to shut it down, then start it up again and here I am.

I suspect malicious software to be involved, so I'm running AVG Virus Scan. Personally, I favor McAfee over AVG, but I had no choice in the matter when the new comp was made, so...

Protoss119
01-12-2007, 06:15 PM
AVG found nothing. Maybe if I scan my Frozen Throne disk, it'll find something. Otherwise, I have my animated desktop to blame.

EDIT: And it is. I've already changed it; hopefully this'll put an end to the odd monitor.

Protoss119
01-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Wasn't the desktop - in fact, it was due to overheat. It happened again. Per Dad's advice, I shut it down and waited for a half-hour before starting it up again. We'll see what happens next.

Almuric
01-13-2007, 10:11 AM
My first suggestion was going to be heat, second was OS problems. This didnt sound like a virus at all.

Protoss119
01-13-2007, 12:54 PM
It wasn't. <_< Apparently, it only occurs when WCIII is running. Odd.

Protoss119
01-15-2007, 06:49 PM
It's not Heat. I don't know what it is. It's definitely not the power supply, or it would have shut down on me, but it keeps happening, and it's getting much more frequent. Suggestions?

Protoss119
01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
My dad took a look at it and it turns out it IS a virus. Kind of ironic, don't you think?

Anyway, someone's using up 1/3 of my memory and 1/2 of my processing power. No wonder NWN2's laggy. He'll take steps to rectify the situation today.

Almuric
01-17-2007, 01:42 PM
ouch! somebody should have kept his virus protection up to date. ;)

Protoss119
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
AVG updates automatically. AVG sucks IMO though, so meh.

Protoss119
01-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I did have a virus, but that wasn't the cause of the problem. It stopped crashing for some 3-6 days. It turns out my video card burnt out and so I had to get it replaced by a not-as-good-as-my-old-one one. Hey, whatever works.

However, one may be concerned that without the old video card, I won't be able to play NWN2. I don't have the processer speed to play it well, though, so it would make no difference.

Almuric
01-25-2007, 03:18 PM
You just have all kinds of problems man!

Protoss119
01-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Ain't that the truth!

Bushwacker
01-26-2007, 06:29 PM
I might be out of line here, but I would back up all my data and do a fresh install of XP. Seems to me you really can't pin down the real problem and or if it's only one problem. You have nothing to loose except time by doing a clean install. At the very least you will have either a solid running OS or a hardware problem. Either way you will know right off. The only bad part is you will have to install all your programs again. On the bright side if one of those programs was the offending program, you will know. Assuming you track your progress and don't install everything all at once. Thing is, once your registry gets hosed you are going to have a very difficult time zeroing in on what the problem really is. Rather it's hardware or software. Sometimes you will be able to tell right off or at least take a minimal amount of time to figure it out. If you want a perfect running machine...do a fresh install. If you want to wonder if your machine is running optimaly and is configured right {so long as you have the skill to configure it right} do a fresh install. There will be no question about it after that. Also remember that the latest drivers don't always mean they are the best driver for what you are doing. Hope this helps.

Bush:D

Protoss119
01-27-2007, 07:51 AM
I'll consider it. ^_^