Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
An idea to improve EB. [Archive] - TrogWorld

PDA

View Full Version : An idea to improve EB.

Protoss119
02-02-2006, 02:02 PM
I just brainstormed an idea last night about how to improve Elemental Battlegrounds: HAZARDS. In each area, have a specific hazard that harms players in there. And by that, I mean ALL players. Here's what I have in mind.

Canals of Filth - "We're in a sewer, Eddy! An incubator for every parasite known to man!" Double Dee, Ed, Edd, and Eddy. Yes, the sewer is a disease-ridden filth cavern. What I have in mind is that every minute a character is in an area, he/she must make a Fortitude save or be struck with a random disease (as per the Contagion spell). Since you CAN rest in the arenas, this makes diseases quite deadly when it comes to ability scores. Also have encounters of 1-2 rats or 1 dire rat.

Astral City - Two words: GITHYANKI PIRATES. Have encounters of about 3-4 githyanki pirates and 1-2 githyanki elites. Give all the githyanki silver swords (Greatswords) with extra melee damage types piercing and slashing to make up for the fact that they can't blow up enemy spinal cords like they can in PnP D&D. Also, make it so if a character dies by their hands, he/she loses a small amount of gold (around 50).

Endless Sands - Quicksand pits are particularly deadly. Have places where if a character lands there, he/she must make a reflex save or be trapped in quicksand (paralyzed). While trapped, the quicksand trigger has 4 "layers" so to speak. Each round, the character must make another reflex save or go down another layer. When the character reaches the fourth layer, he/she must make a reflex save or die. If you succeed at a reflex save while trapped, you go up a layer. For example, if you were on the third layer of quicksand and succeeded at the reflex save, you would go up to the second layer. If you succeed at the reflex save required to avoid the quicksand trigger altogether, you are not trapped, but must succeed at another reflex save for every round you're in that area until you leave that area.

Deadly Abode - Did you notice that the wooden bridges are highly unstable? Make a trigger that rolls a 1d10. If it rolls a 10, the character must make a reflex save or fall and thus die. This does not affect the character when he/she is not on the wooden bridges.

Haunted Ruins - This one, I have two ideas for.

1. Each round, have a random waypoint be bombarded with stone. If the character is near the falling stones, he takes 2d4 points of bludgeoning damage. A successful reflex save halves the damage.
Every 5 minutes, the character hears a ghostly sound, call, etc. He/she must make a will save or be stricken with a fear effect that lasts 2 rounds.

The Molten Lake II - First of all, may I ask what happened to the original Molten Lake? Well, anyway, make a trigger that rolls a 1d6. If it rolls a 4, then a fiery wave of lava should strike the bridges leading to the middle and/or the edges of the middle, doing 4d10 divine damage.

So what do you think? Is there anything I need to improve?

Almuric
02-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Interesting ideas. Not sure though, as how does everyone feel about getting damaged by something other then other players in a PvP arena?

Molten Lake (the original) is still available. I just took it out of the map rotation when II got made.

Felonious Monk
02-02-2006, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure about the random deaths/damage. I'd be pretty pissed if I were about to kill someone on a bridge and either one of us fell through or if they got taken out by random damage and I got denied the kill. Not to mention the time it would take to script all this stuff in and the CPU resources used by the heartbeat scripts.

Protoss119
02-03-2006, 05:59 AM
I was worried about the scripting part. I realized it would take a long time to script all of this (and you don't have to if you don't want to). Of course, if you aren't using this already, you could use Lilac Soul's Script Generator to do so. For the kill denial part, maybe you could change it so that the damage doesn't kill a character if there was a chance of doing so, but instead lowers the HP to 1.

P.S. Hardly anyone goes on the bridges in Deadly Abode to actually FIGHT; most of the people are going to go to the middle.

P.P.S. The Githyanki Pirates, maybe they could be around Level 7-11, so they aren't tough to kill but are still a challenge.

P.P.P.S. I like chocolate.

Almuric
02-03-2006, 06:25 AM
scripts like this usually have to be custom written. Lilac Soul's script generator is only useful for very simple scripting.

Protoss119
02-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Maybe, maybe not. I'll have to check.

Genocide
02-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Lilac Soul is for straight noobs to NWNscript.

Speaking as the person that coded EB, when you envision something original, you have to create it out of thin air to make it happen. EB has scripts that you will see no where else.

Protoss119
02-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Yeh...but then again, Microsoft Word scripts, as far as I've seen, are almost the same thing as NWNscripts, but there's no Lilac Soul for that, and by golly, that stuff is hard. You do have a point, though; you don't often see 4-team modules because the creator can't script one way or another. Plus the immunity/vulnerability script is something I haven't seen anywhere else. Eternal War could relate, but that place has a bad reputation as far as being LAWLESS and with the DM saying that he "doesn't mind" power leveling, thus he "doesn't mind" Cornersneaking, he "doesn't mind" Knockdown spamming, and he "doesn't mind" hit-and-run mages.

The point I'm trying to run by you is that Elemental Battlegrounds is much better than Eternal War, yet I see people going there left and right. Of course, maybe I'm going off-topic.

Genocide
02-06-2006, 04:49 PM
The PvP servers are scripting heavy, there are virtually hardly any areas to em, the items are all custom for balancing issues, there are no monsters, so the only thing that really makes a PvP server worthwhile is its scripts.

EB used to have a great deal of people that played...like 7+ on each team.
The death spells weren't tweaked and were abused, so people quit, 1-2 people ruined it for all. (Almuric was a little slow in changing the spell)

That pretty much killed the numbers and EB never really really got hot after that.

Almuric
02-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah yeah..blame me. :P

Dweia
02-07-2006, 02:29 AM
Incidently, if anyone wants this put in I should be able to script it up without too much difficulty.

And yes, I'm a bit slow, so sue me, I've been busy.

And not many people know about EB. People go to Eternal War because that's where the people are, a pvp server with no people is not much fun.

Felonious Monk
02-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Dweia to the rescue! Sometimes I think you dream in NWScript. :P

I think he pretty much hit the Catch 22 on the head: there aren't a lot of people playing because there isn't hardly anyone on. That, and the people we do get to join us end up being total toolbags that drive everyone else away.

Almuric
02-07-2006, 06:19 AM
Guys, on top of that I havent had the mod running for about 2 months and none of you even noticed.

Protoss119
02-07-2006, 01:56 PM
I noticed that EB was down; the 2 months part, I didn't.

Felonious Monk
02-07-2006, 10:26 PM
I saw it was down a while back (not sure how long, probably not 2 months though) and figured it was temporary down time. I checked again a couple of weeks ago, but Gamespy was giving me troubles so I couldn't be sure whether it was there or not. I don't think I've actually played NWN since probably March or April of last year, but I check Gamespy every so often to see if anyone on my buddy list is playing. They rarely are. :(

Almuric
02-08-2006, 06:43 AM
well, I have a spare PC here at the house. I'll try to load up the server there and I'll change the IP address listed on the website.

Protoss119
02-08-2006, 02:02 PM
That should get JYAP back into the biz. If there's one reason I could name for him getting onto Gamespy, it's because Elemental Battlegrounds was up. Perhaps now, a few people have forgotten the "tricks" that killed EB's popularity.

Dweia
02-09-2006, 05:14 AM
Since we're all making excuses...

I've been in Germany, then as soon as I got back Bali, then straight down to Canberra, so I've been too busy to play since mid november or so...

Halfwingseen
02-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Yea well we gonna makeit great again!!! i hope

Protoss119
02-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Awww, but my modem's dying! Right now, I'm using my grandpa's computer, so until my dad can get a new modem, I won't be able to go online.

EDIT: Oh, wait, nevermind.

Halfwingseen
02-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Ah Well I noticed its been down every time i checked but i assumed GS was screwing up or was temp downtime but OMG guys im excited ( srry to upstage EB here ) But ANCIENT RAGE IS IN TESTING WOOOOOOOO ITS BACK ( MAYBE ) YAY was the mod that got my into PvP heh ive been playing war3 for 3 months so >.< thats my excuse

JYAP
07-19-2006, 08:13 AM
(explodes Ancient Rage)
Bad Halfwing. Bad. And while I'm at it...
(takes scythe,enters Antiworld)
(leaves when the server population hits 0)

I really wanna play now,but my comp is down and requiring a new power supply,I lost my original NWN disk,and I uninstalled it per Halfwing's suggestion to fix the lag I was getting.

Protoss119
07-19-2006, 08:28 AM
T_X

Have you checked all the nooks and crannies yet? I found my SSBM disk behind the TV. XD

JYAP
07-19-2006, 08:49 AM
While my computer is 2 feet away from my TV and Gamecube,my disk being back there makes no sense whatsoever.

Felonious Monk
07-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I thought I had lost my HotU disk for a while, but it ended up being in my IWD2 box.

Protoss119
11-27-2006, 01:08 PM
At any rate, it's a proven fact that anything I think of at night (while I'm in bed) is bound to phail.

Halfwingseen
11-27-2006, 05:41 PM
You know what was ironic about JYAP losing his disc the nxt update right after that allowed one to run the game without the disk and fixed any run issues :P