Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Eb + Nwn2? [Archive] - TrogWorld

PDA

View Full Version : Eb + Nwn2?

Almuric
01-13-2006, 06:51 AM
I've been thinking about the forthcoming NWN2 and the fact that Elemental Battlegrounds would need to be rebuilt completely. So what do you guys think? I will note that I'm planning on spending alot of time building a persistent world so I dont know how dedicated (if at all) I could be to EB.

Protoss119
01-13-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree. The moment NWN2 is released, players will be swarming all over it. The old NWN would be abandoned. If you set up your server early, then they will notice it before any other server. If you work on the module hard enough, then they will stay for quite a while.

Almuric
01-13-2006, 02:21 PM
OK, the thing is, I would have to split my time with another mod. Gonna have to build a dev team so that all the load isnt on just me. Guess I need to start looking now for a builder and a scripter (especially a scripter) that wants to work with me.

Halfwingseen
01-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Personally there al i say go with the PvP over the Persistant world because i know myself and other WN's can definitely help with a persistant more than an arena where things have to be balanced and specific + the sooner the better eh? and imagine the possibilities for persistant when this comes out many different imputs are always better for those because a world needs diversifying rather than all one thought look at torr it seems streamlined and smooth but in reality the map is Hectic randomly getting form one place to another and yet its very successful work on the thing you have to do with very few people firsthand and the one where you can deligate duties u can relax on a bit

Protoss119
01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
Aye. Long time, no see, Halfwing! Indeed, I would put PVP over PW since PVP is a little bit easier to understand and I uphold creativity over realism. What I mean by that is that I favor making all sorts of builds rather than facing some new elements in the game that makes it that much harder and more complicated than it already is!

Almuric
01-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, the thing is I'm a mediocre scripter and scripting is the heart and soul of a PvP mod. Plus for it'll be hard to balance until we learn the dynamics of the new game. Dont forget we're going to be able to use 4 classes on one character now.

Felonious Monk
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Balancing a PvP mod for a sequel with new classes, feats, skills (please get rid of Discipline *crosses fingers*), spells, and ruleset is going to be next to impossible without playtesting everything first. The Warlock alone is, IMO, bound to be a PvP breaker. Imagine a corner sneaker that can nail you with 9d6 magic damage each round (or more, depending on the build and how the game handles Haste and weapon-like spells), has unlimited casts of Darkness and Bigby's-type spells, and doesn't need corners. Those aren't even the cool abilities. I don't know what all they plan on including in NWN, but in PnP they can even destroy their opponents' weapon/armor/shield/etc with a single word. At level one. Of particular import to EB, they also automatically get up to 10/- DR against two elements of their choice.

Now that I'm done talking about how f***ing cool the warlock class is, I just have to say that I would (and probably will, com June/July) go the PW route first and then build an associated PvP mod. Balance isn't nearly as important for a PW, and you don't kill 20 builds when you make a single change.

The good news is that they have said that scripts will be able to be imported from NWN, so that will probably save you quite a bit of time.

Almuric
01-16-2006, 08:46 AM
You would think it would, but I'm going to bet they changed the database system (will need to re-write the ondeath script, the script that runs the scoreboard, etc) AND every spell that causes damage was customized, so they'll all have to be changed again).

Protoss119
01-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, at least it won't require that you have INTENSE knowledge of scripting, since they would have a lot more action triggers so you would be able to make a visual effect without having to know that one piece of code that takes up 3/4 of your brain.

Felonious Monk
01-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Quite true about the scripts. It seems like everything would have to be done from the ground up, which could prove to be something of a chore. Still, if done a little bit at a time it wouldn't be as overwhelming. It's too bad they can't give out enough specifics to allow builders to get going a little early on their projects.

Who knows, they might make it even easier to change all spells at once, so that all it takes to script the damage changes is some lines of code in a single file. [/optimism]

Dweia
01-26-2006, 12:44 AM
You can pass parameters to scripts (in convo at least I know) now!

No more of that 100 different scripts to check variations on is level 1, 2, 3, etc.

I can offer some scripting help, but I've got HSC and all of that, so I probably won't be able to do that much.

Almuric
01-26-2006, 06:09 AM
HSC??

And of course your help is welcome. :)

Felonious Monk
01-26-2006, 05:30 PM
You can pass parameters to scripts (in convo at least I know) now!

I know. :) I about pissed myself when I read that on nwn2news. They are even considering adding arrays, but we'll have to wait to see if they actually get in. That would be so useful with some of the things I have planned.

Genocide
02-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Yeah, you are gonna need a new scripter.

Protoss119
10-02-2006, 04:04 PM
~binds Genocide to EB~

Nope, we need j00. Nice try though.

JYAP
10-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Oh,don't worry Toss.
(all exits are shut with metal doors)
(outside,a horde of my minions has set up a siege)
Heh heh heh.

But really,if there's new triggers available,a lot of stuff could happen to EB. I really think you should give it spawns,make the fortress more important,etc.

Almuric
10-03-2006, 06:59 AM
So far as EB and NWN2 go, give me some time to learn the toolset and to also learn how resource heavy the new server software will be. Not going to rush into this blind!

Protoss119
10-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Argh. If you learn it before the others do, Trog, then you can get your server up first and populate it before everyone else. Like I said, strike down your competition.

Almuric
10-03-2006, 01:40 PM
I've been downloading the new toolset all day. :)