Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Rethinking the Forum Software [Archive] - TrogWorld

PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking the Forum Software

Almuric
10-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Well I know I had said I was going to buy the current version of IPB, but now that I've seen version 3.5 of vBulletin in action I'm not so sure. Should make a decision by the end of the year. Of course the activity level here also pushes that decision, as it's hard to drop over $100 on software if only a couple of people are posting.

Darakian
10-23-2005, 04:25 PM
What would the benifits be? I think that is the real question.

Bushwacker
10-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Well I don't think there would be any benifits if knowone is around posting. I mean why blow a $100 for something only a few people are ever around to do something on it. So I think the question really is does Trog want to spend the money for something he thinks he might like more than what he has now or and if he does are there going to be people around to for him to even use the program.

You know I will always be around as long as you have a site for me to come to bro. Don't know what to tell ya bud. Shit man I just blew $70 for that Novel Linux SUSE 10. Although I know that is alot different than what you are talking about. Still Its not my primary rig or OS, so I can just fire it up whenever I get a hair up my ass to do so.

Lets see here. Does Trog do with out a few cigars or maybe wait to buy that next bottle of 12 year old Scotch? Or does he do the Nike thing and "just do it"

Almuric
10-23-2005, 07:10 PM
well the thing with the current software is that it's out of date and probably has several vulnerabilities. IPB stopped supporting (and patching) this version. So at some point I need to do something.

MissChaos
10-24-2005, 12:10 AM
OMG! You mean the pleasure of my company isn't worth $100?? *looks offended*

jk jk

Seriously though, is there something wrong with the current software? Cos if there isn't I'd say keep it, this place has a nice, homely kinda feel to it.... Hell it's the first site I check when I get online of a morning :P

Ninja-Panda
10-24-2005, 12:43 AM
yeah i can see your point, depends what the advantages are cause the only disadvantage i can see is $100 lol

Darakian
10-24-2005, 01:30 AM
I agree with miss there is a nice homely feel here :)

Almuric
10-24-2005, 07:50 AM
I intend to keep the same feel, the same basic color scheme. :) I just dont want to end up hacked.

Bushwacker
10-24-2005, 03:14 PM
how many times have you been hacked so far? :cry:

Almuric
10-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Got hacked through the phpBB forums once a few months ago.

Darakian
10-25-2005, 03:03 AM
What was the damage?

Almuric
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Server started trying to broadcast the hack to other servers. Got it fixed in short order and setup measures to prevent that from ever happening again.