Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Games, Violence & People [Archive] - TrogWorld

PDA

View Full Version : Games, Violence & People

MissChaos
07-17-2005, 09:38 AM
So I was watching an ep of Law & Order the other night where two teenagers were up on charges of murder and they blamed their actions on playing violent video games. So, being the thoughtful little cookie that I am I got thinking..... Is it really video games/music/movies/television that makes young people lash out in such violent ways? I figured it would be an interesting point to discuss :)

My view: Well, I listen to heavy metal music, watch the most violent and gory horror films, love violent TV and get a TOTAL kick outta games like Dawn of War and Counterstrike. But, I've never gone out and killed someone and never intend to. So what makes me different?

Well I think 99% of the responsibility in this debate SHOULD be placed on the parents. What kind of children are they raising if they are so easily influenced by the media? Can't parents encourage their young to think for themselves? To form their own opinion of what is right and wrong?

So consider this one open to debate :) Keep it respectful and clean

Ninja-Panda
07-17-2005, 09:59 AM
yeah, what about rap music, thats all ways, killing ppl, drugs, guns etc

iv heard this debated many times and iv never heard the media come out as culprit

i mean one of my favorite movies is die hard, i love films like that, im a huge martial arts fan, yet iv never punched anybody in my life and never will aslong as im in a sound state of mind

its an open topic really

Almuric
07-17-2005, 12:11 PM
I'm a very big supporter of parents spending more time with their kids. It's the lack of values growing up watching TV, playing video games, etc and doing nothing else worthwhile that breeds uncaring minds.

ChaplainAuron
07-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Well to be honest, It's everybodies fault as far as the parents, kid, media are concerned. I mean 1)Parents dont install morales and common sense in their kids, 2)Media constantly makes killing look like an everyday thing and that its not as serious as one might think, 3)The kids are idiots, and that they know its wrong but think itll be cool to do it or try something that they can brag about and get caught, 4) I dont have a 4 but if i did it would go onto 5, 6, 7, 8-9999 becuz i can rant on about this all day

Almuric
07-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Let's not forget the fact that the media only reports bad news. :rolleyes:

MissChaos
07-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Trog@Jul 17 2005, 12:11 PM
I'm a very big supporter of parents spending more time with their kids. It's the lack of values growing up watching TV, playing video games, etc and doing nothing else worthwhile that breeds uncaring minds.
I totally agree! Every children's product marketed today seems to eliminate the need for the parents to be involved... Put the DVD in the DVD player and Winnie The Pooh will teach your children the alphabet..... It's all about making parenthood 'conveniant' for us adults.

When I was a kid my parents read to/with me, taught me and were always there as much as time allowed and I turned out pretty normal *waits for wisecracks* I didn't know ANYONE that had ADD or ADHD or 11 year olds doped up on Prozac or Valium. And yet that's all we seem to see today, an out of control generation raised by everyone else EXCEPT the one's that are supposed to be raising them.

Almuric
07-17-2005, 03:56 PM
Of course...in defense of all those crappy parents...when I was growing up my mom was at home. Most homes are 2 income now.

DiabloVT
07-18-2005, 12:04 AM
and with the "hot coffee" fiasco going atm in the world of GTA san andreas, i bet kids are gonna start having sex earlier n earlier too :naughty:

but on a serious note, when i get in a sitation where i want to have kids, i think id want my wife to stay at home and raise the kids as ill be away on the mines working. my dad used to be away for weeks and months at a time while he was in the army, and my mum raised all 3 of us kids pretty darn well. i highly doubt id be filled with all this morals business if it werent for the happy upbringing i had.

moving onto games/music and real life violence, my opinion is that its just another scapegoat as the same thing happened back when black sabbath was all the rage. games and metal dont make you kill people, that itchy trigger finger and that naturally psychotic brain of urs does. i play games where i laugh when i blow some guys head off with a shotgun at pointblank range and listen to some pretty heavy music (ask misschaos ;) ) and the only time i feel the need to kill someone is when people are blaming these things for the murder they commited

DiabloVT
07-18-2005, 12:06 AM
little side-note here, anyone remember those 2 crazy people who stabbed their friend like 40 times in a park because slipknots music told them to do it?
anyone know what happened to em

Ninja-Panda
07-18-2005, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by DiabloVT@Jul 18 2005, 07:04 AM
and with the "hot coffee" fiasco going atm in the world of GTA san andreas, i bet kids are gonna start having sex earlier n earlier too :naughty:
yup, take a case we've had here in england, 3 sisters, now 14, 16 and 18 (not 100% sure on ages, bout 90%) they all have kids that are 3 years +

and the youndest had twins, at 11!!!

MissChaos
07-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by DiabloVT@Jul 18 2005, 12:06 AM
little side-note here, anyone remember those 2 crazy people who stabbed their friend like 40 times in a park because slipknots music told them to do it?
anyone know what happened to em
OMG! I remember reading about that and Mick said that if some kid came up to him and admitted to doing something like that in the name of Slipknot he'd punch them out....

I was born into a 2 income household but my mother quit her job until I was old enough to start school and even then she worked around school hours.... I don't see the point to having a child and then dumping it in daycare so you're back at work within a week... Poor babies :(

Almuric
07-18-2005, 03:48 PM
ok...I'll admit it. My mom started working once I was in school. :D