Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Why are there no players ever online? [Archive] - TrogWorld

PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no players ever online?

Genocide
11-07-2003, 06:09 PM
The burning question. I wish to know why?

Does the module suck?

No one likes PvP anymore?

All the other PvP modules that much better?

What is the best way to recruit more players??

Bounty Hunter
11-07-2003, 07:57 PM
I played on Gods tonight and it was laggy. I don´t know why but since v5 it is alweys laggy to me.
I played on BoW and it was laggy and confusing. I just runned around and got 1 lvl in 3 minutes.
I played on NS and it is boring. For players that never played it it is a great server. But when I can lvl to lvl 10 in 1 hour then it is time to change the server.
I was looking at some RP servers (Anchordeep, Stormplay and Anphillia) but they have so many rules that it is not even worth creating char there.

And why did I play on all those server tonight? Cause EB was empty for 2 days when I looked at it. I saw players on Legion but not on EB. I will no longer sit and populate En waiting for Geno to join and others to see that EB is not empty. I´m tired of that. I was populating EB since we put it up and for nothing.

I have no NWN server to play where I can have fun. EB is by far the BEST mod I ever saw and played on but it is alweys empty or have few new players that leave as soon as they get killed.
I´m serioulsy considering to stop playing NWN any more. Cause I don´t know where to play. I´m offering many things to have time to sit to 3-4 am and play but in last 3 days I was only jumping from server to server. That is not fun.

Genocide
11-09-2003, 04:30 AM
Where can we advertise the server and get more players to join it???

It did SO well at first, but I guess that the low player count is actually OUR fault. Mages took advantage of unbalanced spells that we saw were being abused but did applied the fixes too slowly. No one liked to be instagibbed over and over and over without ever getting a chance to fight. For the record (non of my magic user characters had/have death spells)

Unfortunately we have almost no players. I played today for 3 hrs with 6 people on...a Saturday....pathetic. Anyone got any ideas?

For that matter is only 3-5 people even reading these forums?
Forum been dead lately too. Feeling frustrated that I put so much work into this module and it isnt getting much play. Been spending more and more time playing Temple of Elemental Evil, Stronghold: Crusader, and Galactic Battlegrounds. Wish I could play EB, but I'm simply not gonna sit in the server for an hour and waste my time every day if no one shows.

I took at look at why the other pvp servers with team combat are successful, and the only reason is that those players don't know how to play anywhere else. Those mods could drastically change and the players would still be there. They have an established player base. Shit, ours got killed off by two mages. Havent seen those guys since.

I've heard comments like ..this could be my new home..except there is hardly anyone to fight. I can't blame them either. The DMs makeup the top players...supposed to be the other way around. DMs aren't supposed to be playing as much.

I put up the server on a couple of sites, dunno how many people will stop by cuz of that.

lateron...we gotta fix this problem soon, or EB is dead.

WNxIthron Eldin
11-09-2003, 04:26 PM
I check the server when I can get on late at night but noone is on much yet. I checked it this morning and noone was on so I played at Legion for awhile. Hopefully we will have more players looking at playing this mod as soon as it gets out there to what and where we are.

Genocide
11-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Its Been OUT there for going on 3 months now....

No one plays early in the morning, no one plays late at night.
I'm afraid if you can only play at those times, you will hardly ever find someone. Prime time....and on weekends there are people. Not many but that is when they play. On the bright side we got players that are fair and good sports and try to stick it out. But I fear some of them are not returning because they find no challenge beating up on level 8s all the time. Ya see, some guys have played those charas a little bit to get as far as level 11-13 and they deserve those levels, other guys are constantly trying new characters, therefore they will always be considerably further behind the power curve. Even though the team numbers are balanced, the shift in power isn't. I can count maybe 6-7 characters over level 10. A few of them haven't been around in awhile.....well because it takes no effort to dust a 8 or 9th level player and it gets boring, plus all the whining about that overpowering character.

I myself constantly switch characters in order ot maintain balance, but would not have to do so if everyone stayed awhile, worked on ONE character, and started to dish out some pain too.

Oh, ya know why peeps play the other pvp servers so much? The exp given per kill is SO low, you have to play there constantly and I mean constantly to develop your character any.

Almuric
11-10-2003, 06:29 AM
Unbelievably there was a complaint yesterday because xp was too low. Reason was because we had 4 to 5 players on each team and killing level 8s didnt give out much once it was spread out. Each team had one high level dishing out damage and low levels helping out. We had a good afternoon btw. After you left Geno the server stayed very busy for the rest of the day.

Bounty Hunter
11-10-2003, 08:47 AM
I really like exp on EB. It is really balanced but there will alwyes be people that whine.
I have stoped playing. Cause I see no point in levling any more. If I get 1 more lvl on my rogue I know that lvls 8 and 9 will constantly whine. If I play my other chars that are lvl 8 they will get lvl soon and then whine thing again. But no one cares that I´m on EB every day and play, even when only 1 more player is on I stay and play. And playing more give you more exp. But as soon as my lvl 10 join in they start complainig. They don´t even try to fight me but whine direct. End if they do fiht me and lose then they leave to make another "better" char or just leave server. When I´m on I´m afriad to fight people cause I might kill them.
That is totally wrong.

Almuric
11-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Hate to here that Bounty. Cant say that I play any different. I have a level 12 cleric on Air, A level 10 cleric and a level 9 Sorc on Fire, a wizard approaching level 9 on water, and a cleric on earth who is also almost level 9. Only purely noob character I have is a level 8 paladin on Air. As you can see I switch around alot too.

Bounty Hunter
11-10-2003, 01:02 PM
He he, I had most exp of all players once in a time. My rogue was 3k from lvl 11 long time ago. Now I´m still 2k from lvl 11 with him. Cause I can never play him. Air is like forrbiden teritory for me. With Vapor and Thurgin there little Bounty just can´t even dream to try and play if there are less then 10 players on (which is almost never).

BBC|Angel
01-04-2004, 01:03 PM
we erdays are trying to make the mod alive..we really trying as some of u saw today..so we will see what happens in the future :lol:

Almuric
01-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Old topic Angel. :P

BBC|Angel
01-05-2004, 06:43 AM
roar!!!!! :mad: just took this topic to sya that we here,,no need to make a new one :cool: ..

BBC|Angel
01-05-2004, 08:52 AM
like 3pm my time... 10 am est..theres almost no one on..only 4 5 ppl..we need to start making oub in channels and stuff..to visit this site and so on..so we can try to get more ppl into this 8)

if that doesnt work...drastic way....cookies to all that enter server..hey..if it comes to taht.. :-)

Almuric
01-05-2004, 10:11 AM
oh yeah...i may have forgotten to mention that most of the traffic is from about 12 Noon EST till about 12 midnight EST. Now that stuff if being used I REALLY need to update the mod and update the website.

WNxRune
01-05-2004, 09:55 PM
angel... tell me youre as beautiful as the sig and avatar you got... please? well, better tell me first youre a girl I guess... never can be too carefull these days.

Have you guys publically told about EB? Ya know, not just this forum and some servers, im talking about posting it on other clan forums, places gamers meet like the gamers outpost or something.... talk to bogo rath, he can get some peeps to appear... hes kinda magical.

anyway, angel... please?

*BBC|Dynellen
01-06-2004, 01:26 AM
We have posted about EB in our NWN division forum, those forums have over 700 registered users and the NWN division has been the biggest so that should bring some players to the server at least.

BBC|Angel
01-06-2004, 06:43 AM
angel... tell me youre as beautiful as the sig and avatar you got... please? well, better tell me first youre a girl I guess... never can be too carefull these days.

yes im a girl :razz: and i pretty much have my hair like the one in the sig..and i have green eyes :cool:

Almuric
01-06-2004, 06:50 AM
Thinking about adding this to the list of servers on IGN, but I need to update it to Hordes at least. Lots of stuff that needs to be fixed before we have a 40+ player load everyday. BBC's help has been great too. Really great response from my request for help.

*BBC|Dynellen
01-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Thinking about adding this to the list of servers on IGN, but I need to update it to Hordes at least. Lots of stuff that needs to be fixed before we have a 40+ player load everyday. BBC's help has been great too. Really great response from my request for help.

Heh you asked in the right time, our servers gone and peoples are checking around new places.

WNxRune
01-06-2004, 11:30 AM
yes im a girl :razz: and i pretty much have my hair like the one in the sig..and i have green eyes :cool:

...maybe my lucky day... darn, wish I could play again...

Ah, thanks for your support BBC... you still owe me an ale...

Madd
01-06-2004, 02:19 PM
a ale? c'mon rune, you can get more out of it thatn that...

go go angel and the other BBC members

WNxBean
10-12-2004, 06:46 PM
I'd join you guys if you were using 1.64, it's the only one I can use :?

Almuric
10-13-2004, 03:37 PM
The server IS running 1.64.

Wandera
11-21-2004, 01:23 AM
Hello guys.. i just recently rejoined Elemental Battlegrounds and kicked it off with a cleric on Fire Plane.

I used to play here when Thurgin owned/ran this MOD.. any luck on telling me where and how you guys got a hold of it ?

Well as opposed to AncientRage and BastionOfWar.. this server's spells and rhythm isnt nerfed to oblivion. Nothing worse than a completely equal "balanced" server where a 5year old girl could start a character and kill just as good as you.

I've been leaving both the computers in my house logged in with a character to attract players, cause c'mon.. you get players by having players..

Nice to meet you all and look forward to teacing a few of you some lessons on the dance floor. ;) :P

SecretLee
11-21-2004, 03:00 AM
the mod is still down Nov 21, 2004

Almuric
11-21-2004, 08:12 AM
sorry bout the server being down....didnt know it had crashed. I'll have it back up in a couple of minutes. BTW...Thurgin is one of my characters. :D

Wandera
11-21-2004, 04:22 PM
w000000000000000000000000000000t

So you still own/run this MOD Thurgin?..

C'mon its WANDERA...

Remember us Wandera & Wargasm Cleric and Wizard

THURRRRRRGGIGGIGIGIGIGGIIIIIINNNNN

Get your ass online tonight so i can BEAT YOU DOWN!

muhahahahahuahuahuahuahuahamammamauhahaha this is awesome

*EDIT*
P.S If you say you dont know or remember i am gonna kick you in the nuts, i was your biggest client and most extreme rival!!..

i'll teach you to book 3.9 MILLION spell resistance spells!

Work sucks :( I want NWN!

*EDIT 2*

AND THEN YOU TOOK THE MODULE DOWN AND BETRAYED ME;
CURSE SONG @ YOU

Almuric
11-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Sorry man....been out of town this weekend. That's why I didnt notice the server being down as I havent been able to check on it. Of course I bring my laptop with me so I can check in. :)

Wandera
11-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Nah Thurgs i mean back in the day.

Yeh i do only get little time to play and it was down all last night for me, i try to leave both my computers logged on as a character, you should do the same... players attract players.

Im talkin about back in the day when we used to play, suddenly you disappeared off the face of the earth, remember ?

Now its back everyone moved on and its gonna be hard to get more players seeing WoW is back, but im down for helping any way i can.. which in turn is why i leave chars logged in, if you look in there now mine should be there and im at work -_- lol.

Cheers.

Almuric
11-21-2004, 09:32 PM
well....some folks were on this evening....were you sleeping? I even got my crappy barbarian to level. :)

Wandera
11-21-2004, 09:53 PM
hahha im an Australian so i may have been.

Thurgin, stay on i will be home in EXACTLY 3 hours.

Come fight with and against me!

WOOOOH

Almuric
11-22-2004, 06:43 AM
It was late when I posted....I was asleep long before you got home. :cool:

Wandera
11-22-2004, 08:56 PM
By the way.. its easy to see where you guys went a little wrong in the development of a player base, and the easy alternate to people thinking they are never gonna get anywhere by being spammed with Death Spells.

And thats EXPERIENCE awarded for death by a higher / same level.

Not to mention toning up the experience a little in order to actually get players there. They need to feel like their time is being used wisely and efficiently.

After the players t more involved and you establish regulars that then attract other regulars.. implement toned down XP systems.

What is the max level here by the way Almuric?.. Cause im hoping that a script of invulnerability can be implemented for those less than 8 or so levels than you.. hehe.

Almuric
11-23-2004, 07:04 AM
The thing is, xp awards are high. If the server has more then 10 people on it you'll level like crazy.

Also, if you are 5 or more levels higher then your opponent you get NO XP for killing him. I have characters I never use because they cant make any xp. (Yes, my fighter is level 21 :) )

Wandera
11-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Yay well fight me cause im level 17, and i own j00 fighter :D

Muhah.

I see, i just like the idea of XP on death.

Almuric
11-23-2004, 02:20 PM
I'll take a look. I may change the script to give a small amount of xp on death, but not much. It would be easy to abuse this by killing yourself over and over. If I set it to only award if killed by a death spell then there would be a complaint to add if killed by horrid wilting or something.

Wandera
11-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Ahhhh i see, im not a great scripter but is there any way you can avoid the XP being given on walking over spawn points / other ele planes.

Because if not then i agree with you, no XP on death.

Its just i know in my past when i joined servers and they gave XP on death, i sat there all day fighting and getting owned just so i could lvl anyhow. :D

Wandera
11-23-2004, 02:52 PM
The one other little idea i was having was if someone logs on and the player count is less than 5.

Then maybe some sort of NPC monster spawning happens, which is a construct or something undead... who doesnt rest and would take a few rests / deaths to kill. Maybe people wouldnt leave so fast, and attract more. Hmmmmmm. Then this possibly could give the XP on death and nothing else, aswell as making a shout as soon as the player joined explaining that hes is going to rule the Arena and all should fear him?

*EDIT*
Off to work weeee, im forum active 99% of my life, talk about obsession.

Almuric
11-23-2004, 04:15 PM
There has been some discussion about making some "bots" similar to what you have on FPS games. Some NPCs that would spawn and play the part of the other teams. I'm going to look into it some more.

Wandera
11-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Bots would be a difficult task and most likely a lag contributing thing.

You dont like the idea of 1 "Ruler of the Elemental Planes" that spawns in the middle @ <5 players that deals each of the elemental type damage, combines magic with AC/AB and shouts to the server that it is waiting in the center of the Arena to destroy all in its proximity?

And hey, why not go a step further and implement one that spawns randomly at the end of each round, depending on how many players connected alters its CRating and combat type? That then gives the team that gets the killing blow a distribution of maybe 500XP each? As opposed to rewarding XP to the winning team... keeping in mind it would have a minimum CR.. so if there isnt enough people to kill it.. no one is getting XP.

Felonious Monk
11-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Just my opinion but...

Getting XP on death is an excellent idea. I imagine it can be pretty frustrating if the same person keeps whipping your tail time and time again, only to get stronger while you stay the same. It seems like it would be hard to keep newbs without some incentive to keep trying. Maybe something like 25% of the XP your opponent gets, but none of the GP.

Spawns are also a good idea. I had thought of this a while ago but said nothing of it. If you are alone on the server, you need something to keep you occupied till someone else comes, not to mention the opportunity to grab a little XP or GP. Like Wandera said, the more people on at any given time, the more likely it is that new people will come and oldbies will want to log on for a few good fights. Maybe some "sentries" in each elemental fortress would be good too. Not too many, to cut down on lag, but maybe just a couple of them to give you something to do if there are fewer than a certain number of people online. They could spawn on player entry so you don't have 8 (or whatever) of them at a time. You should get double XP for ones of opposing alignment, especially since you have to deal with all the damage just from being there in the first place.

And about killing yourself for XP on spawn points and such, it could be scripted to check to see if the last attacker was a PC. If so, XP. If not, nothing. It could check to see if it was a spawn, too.

Almuric
11-29-2004, 01:13 PM
I'll see what I can do guys. If there is any award for death....it will be very small.

As far as the sentries in each fortress......i like that idea.

Wandera
11-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Well i think something needs to happen at the end of round.

And what i was thinking is maybe the winning team gets ported to the colosseum for a big team fight against a monster instead of having it spawn just plain in the Arena for everyone to fight against.

And this monster im talking gets beaten only when there is a cleric + mage + fighter and damn good ones at that.

Something NEEDS to happen end of round...

Any ideas guys?..

Reason being, this is what keeps the players on server for long amounts of time.

Another thing Almuric are you extremely against toning up the experience one gets for making kills?.. Cause i cant help but feel as though people are getting bored on the same level day after day.

The way the other Arena servers are designed in having 2 servers.. i dunno about this i dont see its necessary until you have a massive population and still i'd rather so what i was thinking was maybe once you can enter the elite shop you have to take the portal to the higher level Arena from the Fortress, BUT.. lower levels can play either and if higher levels want to enter the LOW level one, they get massive AB/AC / SPELL FAILURE disadvantages...? Aswell as the higher level arena giving more XP per KILLS! and the team receives the same as the lower level arena?..

I dunno if you understand it but lets hear what you guys think.. Al.. ?

Felonious Monk
11-29-2004, 06:00 PM
How about an end of round bonus for the team that fared the best? The number of kills could be weighed against the number of deaths and the team with the best ratio would get an XP/GP bonus relative to that ratio. Number of players and average level could be factored in too. I imagine the formula would be something like (avg lvl of losers/avg lvl of winners)*(# of losers + 1/# of winners + 1)*(# of kills/# of deaths)*(base xp)

For example:

Team Fire and Team Earth both have 2 level 15 players. Team Fire totals 9 kills and 7 deaths, meaning Team Earth has 7 kills and 9 deaths (assuming no suicides). Team Fire then gets (15/15)*(3/3)*(9/7)*200 XP and GP, or 257 XP/GP each (200 being an example base XP/GP).

Team Air has one level 16 and one level 15 while Team Water has 2 level 15s. Team Air scores 9 kills and 7 has deaths (as in previous example). The formula then becomes (15/15.5)*(3/3)*(9/7)*200 XP and GP, or 248 each.

Team Earth has 2 level 15 players and Team Air has 1 level 17 player. Team Earth has 7 kills and 5 deaths. Team Earth then gets (15/15)*(2/3)*(7/5)*200, or 187 XP and GP.

Pros:
Rewards extended playing
Discourages dieing for XP
Boosts overall XP awards without tweaking XP slider
Rewards teamwork

Cons:
Rich get richer and the poor get poorer
Have to play through the end of the round for it to pay off

I think the losers should probably get something too, like maybe inverting the formula and dividing it by 2 so they at least get something, but not near as much as the winners.

Almuric
11-29-2004, 06:19 PM
The biggest problem we have now is the more powerful teams beat the crap out of the new players. Creating an end-of-round award would just make those same players more powerful.

Felonious Monk
11-29-2004, 06:37 PM
It could be scripted so that if the number and/or the average level of players on any one side is higher than the others by a certain amount then there is no bonus. This would also serve to keep more powerful people from ganging up on newbs (which is apparently already going on) since they would actually lose more by doing so.