Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
Need an idea for a tech article [Archive] - TrogWorld

PDA

View Full Version : Need an idea for a tech article

Bushwacker
09-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Hey I need some help here guys. If you have an idea for an article on some kind of tech thing it would be great if you could share it with me.
I want to add it to my website. In fact if you want to write one up I'll use it. So far what I have is right HERE (http://jnltechspot.com/tech_stuff.html) as you can see I need content.
But I thought it would be cool to see if one of you guys might have a good idea. So please help a brotha out :D

Almuric
09-11-2008, 03:23 AM
I might be able to write an article for you. I just bought a new latop - HP DV5t. It's a brand new model that just came out last month and there are very few online reviews. It should be in within 2 weeks or so and I could do a write up.

Bushwacker
09-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Hey now that sounds good.

Almuric
09-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I even have an idea for it. How to take a new laptop that comes with Vista and downgrade it to XP Pro SP3 with no available drivers from the manufacturer. :) Cause that's what I'm going to do and for some reason HP isnt offering XP drivers for the laptop.

Silentblade
09-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I even have an idea for it. How to take a new laptop that comes with Vista and downgrade it to XP Pro SP3 with no available drivers from the manufacturer. :) Cause that's what I'm going to do and for some reason HP isnt offering XP drivers for the laptop.

That is absolutely nice of them

Almuric
09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
yeah, well i knew this problem going in.

Silentblade
09-12-2008, 03:20 AM
Why do the pc manufactures play into MS's game? doesn't make sense why they couldn't develop drivers for xp doesn't take much time.

Bushwacker
09-12-2008, 03:28 AM
The new laptops are being built around Vista technology. Thus no driver support. Dell is doing the same thing. I had to do our CTO's Dell M1330 laptop. It's doable, but you will probably loose some of the special functions that shipped with it and are designed for vista. The architecture is different than XP.

Almuric
09-12-2008, 05:37 AM
This is true, though I'm gladly trading a few special functions for the speed gain I'll be getting.

Bushwacker
09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah his machine ran quite well with XP Pro.

BTW. I like the new avatars or tags...under our names.

Almuric
09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah his machine ran quite well with XP Pro.

BTW. I like the new avatars or tags...under our names.

I've been wanting to update them for a long time. Good to hear they arent hated. :D

Bushwacker
09-13-2008, 08:00 AM
No hate here man. Looks real nice.

Bushwacker
10-01-2008, 10:56 AM
So has anyone come up with anything or put something together yet?

Almuric
10-01-2008, 02:43 PM
well the deal with the laptop was if i downgraded to xp the screen brightness wouldnt work anymore. it was gonna be stuck on full bright (too bright).

btw, the laptop ended up being totally awesome and have enough juice to play all my games and still keep vista.

Bushwacker
10-02-2008, 04:56 AM
Thats cool man, I'm glad it worked out for you. So what games are you playing on it?

Silentblade
10-02-2008, 06:43 AM
So has anyone come up with anything or put something together yet?

I would get something together for you but I haven't bought anything new in quite some time so any article from me would be out dated.

Almuric
10-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Thats cool man, I'm glad it worked out for you. So what games are you playing on it?

Neverwinter Nights (of course) and Company of Heroes (with the expansion). It doesnt play CoH very well in DX10 mode, but in DX9 it runs great. It pulls the same framerates as my desktop with the graphics turned up just a little higher on the laptop. :)

My big surprise with NWN was that I was unaware that game could run in widescreen. The laptop has a widescreen of course (1680x1050) and NWN will run at that level. :shock:

Bushwacker
10-02-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't know anything about either of those games, but I do know if they have an option to ajust the shadows you could do that as it has a big impact on the graphics and frame rates. Like soft shadows. If you have that disable it.

Silentblade
10-03-2008, 09:55 AM
My big surprise with NWN was that I was unaware that game could run in widescreen. The laptop has a widescreen of course (1680x1050) and NWN will run at that level. :shock:

Yes one of the last patches they released for it either 1.66 or 1.67 added more resolutions. I know I run it on 1400 x 900 on my 19" WS.