Warning: Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated in /var/www/trogworld.com/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 1960
New NAS System [Archive] - TrogWorld

PDA

View Full Version : New NAS System

Bushwacker
09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Hey Trog,

Got my new NAS system in today bro. I went with the Linksys NAS 200 (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175233152539&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=5253976915B01) it only has the 2 SATA drive bays, but you can connect 2 USB drives as well. This will give me a maximum of 5.8 Terabytes. I know I'll probably never need that much storage, but what the hell it's there for the future if I ever need it. Plus their stackable. So what do you think bro.

As far as the drives I'm going to get, I'm having trouble deciding on which ones to get. I've been reading a lot of reviews and they all tend to point to the Western Digital drives for what I want to do, which is store all my movies and audio so I can stream them to the other computers in the house and to stream the videos to the TV's in 3 of the bedrooms. The reviews are saying they have better read speeds than the others which is what I need. So what I’m stuck on is which two drives should I get. So give me your thoughts bro.:)

GENERAL INFORMATION
Manufacturer Western Digital Corporation
Manufacturer Part Number WD5000AAKS
Product Name Caviar SE16 Hard Drive
Package Type OEM
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Storage Capacity 500GB
DRIVE PERFORMANCE Rotational Speed 7200 rpm
Data Transfer Rate 300MBps External Maximum Serial ATA - II INTERFACES/PORTS Interfaces/Ports 1 x 7-pin Serial ATA/300 Serial ATA
Price $89.99

Manufacturer Western Digital Corporation
Manufacturer Part Number WD7500AAKScc
Product Name Caviar SE WD7500AAKS Hard Drive
Package Type OEM
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Storage Capacity 750GB
DRIVE PERFORMANCE Rotational Speed 7200 rpm
Data Transfer Rate 300MBps External Maximum Serial ATA – II 972Mbps Internal Maximum
INTERFACES/PORTS Interfaces/Ports 1 x 7-pin Serial ATA/300 Serial ATA
Price $149.99 on sale.

Almuric
09-20-2007, 02:51 PM
wait...2 drives + 2 USB drives = 4 drives. How did you get to 5.8TB?? If you used 4 750GB drives that would only be 3TB raw.

Bushwacker
09-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I don't know man I did a search for max storage for that unit
and thats what I found. Go figure. I would imagine it would only
see 4 TB because 1 TB HDD's are the largest you can get right now.
Anyway its more than I'll need for quite some time if ever.

Almuric
09-20-2007, 06:04 PM
OK, well as far as those drives go, we use that both those model drives all the time without issue. I believe Hitachi is the only manufacturer with 1TB drives right now so their pricing is pretty steep.

Bushwacker
09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Well I scored big guy's. I traded my old Radeon X1900XTX and $300 bucks for
two 1 Terabyte HDD's. Plus I have to go set up his brothers home network for 5
computers.:D

Shit man I think I may reconfigure my 2003 server and start doing something different
with it.

Almuric
09-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Like what? A linux server?! :P

Bushwacker
09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
OMG Trog I forgot what a funny guy you are. You tear me up man you really do.

Bushwacker
09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Ok so I have it up and running...I am pleasently supprised at how stinking fast this thing is. I'm streaming video to my big screen and it looks great. Plus now I can image all the computers in the house on a set schedual and not ever have to reload another pc by hand. How cool is that. I was thinking about hosting my own website on the NAS but I dicided not to do it. Way to much crap. If the site gets hacked or whatever. I decided to let someone else take care of that. So I went to lunarpages.com (http://www.lunarpages.com/) and used them to buy my domain name and picked this plan. (http://www.lunarpages.com/windows-hosting/)I am going to need a forum for the site and I'm thinking of using the same people you are Trog. How is the tech support and pricing? The site is going to be faily simple. Geared more towards tech stuff. It will just be a place where me and my friends can go and post information about tech stuff, like Networking, PC problems and fixes, News and whatever else. You know like a bit bucket type of thing. So when I get it up and running are you going to at least come check it out?

Almuric
09-26-2007, 07:50 PM
The forums I use have really good tech support, but it's because this software isnt cheap as far as forums go. vBulletin is $160 for the software + first year of support, then I think it's $35 a year after that for support. I really like it of course, or I wouldnt be paying so much for it. :P

Remember my old forums? That was run on phpBB, which is free. Take a look around at all the different forum software before deciding on anything.

Almuric
09-26-2007, 08:10 PM
just noticed...the plan you picked is a Windows Hosting plan...that means ASP. Most forum programs are written in PHP...you would need this hosting plan for that - http://www.lunarpages.com/basic-hosting/

Bushwacker
10-02-2007, 12:40 PM
yeah I switched.

Almuric
10-02-2007, 01:03 PM
took you long enough to say that! :P

Bushwacker
10-10-2007, 09:40 PM
just noticed...the plan you picked is a Windows Hosting plan...that means ASP. Most forum programs are written in PHP...you would need this hosting plan for that - http://www.lunarpages.com/basic-hosting/

Well as you now know I really changed everything now. LOL